With summer in the air, a trip to the seaside is a childhood favourite and a great British past time. When city life takes its toll the smell of sea air, a walk along a sandy beach and fish and chips wrapped in newspaper can suddenly transport you to another place. London may be the UK’s business hub, but look a little deeper and you’ll find the joys of the seaside aren’t so far away.
- Escape Bishopsgate and take a walk on New Street to find Fish Market. The restaurant is recognised for its ‘al fresco’ dining and quality fresh British fish. Enjoy a variety of dishes, from grilled lobster to roasted hake, upon the heated terrace.
- Billingsgate Market is the UK’s largest fish market located near to Canary Wharf, East London. Fish and fish products are shipped from all over the world for wholesale trade. But don’t be disheartened, the general public is welcome to browse over 50 stalls and the wholesalers are often happy to sell their produce in smaller units.
- Pop-up restaurants offer a rare opportunity for you to unearth a gem. The Pearl (at The Doll’s House) in Hoxton Square, North London, has set sail for a semi-permanent anchorage from April through to December. This will house a weekly change of fish specialities on their menu, including, Orkney king scallops and bourbon cured salmon.
- Roundhouse’s Camden Beach has in previous years brought the beach to the city. Shacks, deck chairs, ping-pong and music gigs allow city workers to take a break and enjoy the British summer with some sand. We’ll keep an eye out for the confirmation of its return!
- Celebrity restaurateur, Tony Allan’s Fish! restaurant in Southwark is a favourite of seafood fans. The restaurant gives the impression of a giant fish tank and you can see the chefs at work in the open kitchen. If you wish to eat in the open air, take your catch onto the terrace, which is located in the heart of Borough Market. Alternatively, visit the Kingston branch, handpick your fish from the monger and have it cooked to order.
If you’re in the city and fancy a taste of seaside flavour when staying in one of our London serviced apartments, give our client team a call and we’ll be able to advise on a great location and style of apartment to suit your needs.