The City of London, not to be confused with London in which it resides, is the commercial and financial centre of the capital that was originally located within the historic walls of the city. Referred to colloquially as the Square Mile, the City is one of the oldest financial centres in the world and home to some of the largest banking and insurance institutions. Here are some quick fire facts about the City within a city.
- For every 1 resident there are 2 businesses registered in the City of London
- The City is home to 15,000 companies
- In 2014, companies registered in the City generated a staggering £45bn
- The City of London makes up just 0.001% of the land in the UK but is responsible for 3% of the UK’s entire economic output in 2014
- 392,400 people work in the City of London
- The City is home to just 7,400 permanent residents
- As well as being its own city, the City of London is also the smallest county in the UK
- Current holders of the freedom of the City include: Sir Ian McKellen, Damian Lewis, Morgan Freeman, Judy Dench, Michael Caine, Alistair Cook, Bill Gates and Stephen Fry.
- Queen Elizabeth II is not allowed to enter the City of London without permission from the Lord Mayor
- Although referred to as the Square Mile, the City is actual 1.1mi. sq., just to be pedantic
- The City of London is serviced by ten underground stations; Aldgate, Bank, Barbican, Blackfriars, Cannon Street, Liverpool Street, Mansion House, Monument, Moorgate and St. Paul’s.
- The City of London is serviced by six train stations; Blackfriars, Cannon Street, City Thameslink, Fenchurch Street, Liverpool Street and Moorgate.
- 1 in 10 workers in the City of London travel over 60km to get to work
- 78% of people travel to work in the City of London via train or the underground compared to just 38% in Greater London
- Landmarks include: The Monument to the Great Fire of London, St Paul’s Cathedral and the Guildhall.
- Skyscrapers include: Leadenhall Building, Heron Tower, Tower 42, 30 St Mary Axe and Broadgate Tower.
As you may expect, SilverDoor has a number of high quality serviced apartments available in the City of London. In fact, we have 140 different properties to choose from to suit a range of requirements and budgets.