Rio de Janeiro is an extremely popular tourist destination, attracting around 1.5 million tourists a year. This number is expected to significantly increase with the arrival of the 2014 FIFA World Cup and the 2016 Olympic Games, both of which are being hosted in the Brazilian city. SilverDoor has over a dozen serviced apartments in Rio de Janeiro for you to choose from on your next trip.
When in Rio make time to visit:
- Christ the Redeemer is the famous monument that faces out over the city and is one of the most globally recognised icons in Brazil.
- Copacabana is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world and stretches an incredible 4km along the coast of south Rio.
- Tijuca Forest is a must-go for any adventurer. The hand planted forest is home to hundreds of species of plants and wildlife, many of which are under threat of extinction.
Rio de Janeiro is a medium sized city that, despite its size, remains fairly easy to navigate. This is primarily due to the variety of cheap transportation options within Rio, including city buses, executive buses, the subway, and a ferry service. The transport links are fairly safe and crime is almost unheard of on the popular services.
There are two airports in which you can fly to should you wish to visit Rio de Janeiro:
- Galeão-Antonio Carlos Jobim International Airport is the largest airport in Rio and is used for all international flights and most domestic flights too. The airport is located 18 miles away from down-town Rio and has connections to 19 different countries.
- Santos Dumont Airport is used mainly for services to São Paulo and some domestic flights. It’s located in down-town Rio.
The main transportation to and from the airport is via taxi, rental car or bus. All of which provide direct access to airports and beyond:
Galeão International Airport:
- Bus – Premium Auto Ônibus operates the executive bus 2018 that runs every half hour between 05.30 and 23.30 to and from the. Services go downtown and towards Santos Dumont Airport, including other southern parts of the city.
- Car – Galeão international airport is located about 25 minutes away from the city centre by car, with rental car stations operating near the airport.
- Taxi – You can pre-book a taxi’s to both airports.
Rio is home to several schools and universities such as Federal University of Rio de Janeiro and Rio de Janeiro State University, with Federal University of Rio being ranked amongst the top in the country. There are 137 upper-learning institutions and international schools in the whole state, such as the American School of Rio de Janeiro and the British School of Rio de Janeiro.
BRL = Brazilian Real (R$)
Rio has a tropical savannah climate, which means that it rains heavily from December to March. However, Rio is relatively sunny at all other times of the year, with summer temperatures reaching above 40 °C. Weather information is available with an overview for the year.