Singapore is located in Southeast Asia and is an environmentally friendly city which attracts over double its population in tourists every year. Singapore offers something for everyone whether travellers are visiting for business or if they simply want to experience this vibrant city. With a population in the region of 5 million this island country is a thoroughfare for business and travel; with a wealth of British expatriates relocating to Singapore as English is one of the official languages.
Points of interest
- One of the world’s most expensive buildings is Marina Bay Sands. This hotel is in fact a great tourist destination. Tickets can be bought to visit the hotel’s SkyPark, which offers an observation deck with a 360 degree view of Singapore, an infinity pool, beautiful gardens and restaurants. The world’s first ArtScience museum is also located there too.
- Spanning across 101 hectares in central Singapore, Gardens by the Bay has three waterfront gardens that provide scenic walks as well as presenting the horticulture within the city. Spend the day in the beautiful conservatories, flower dome and cloud forest.
- The Singapore Flyer is a giant observation wheel that gives panoramic views of Singapore and is a popular vantage point to view the city’s skyline.
Making the most of your trip to Singapore is easy as there are multiple transport options for getting around the city. You can easily hail a taxi from any taxi stand, providing a convenient door to door service. The Singapore MRT (Mass Rapid Transit) system also provides great access to almost every part of Singapore with General Ticketing Machines located at all MRT stations. There’s also a public bus service available within the city, which also runs throughout Friday and Saturday nights.
Changi Airport is the main airport within Singapore and connects to over 200 worldwide destinations – seeing around 5000 arrivals and departures each week.
The Haven by Jetquay is the only lounge in the airport within the public area. It offers complimentary beverages, snacks and Wi-Fi and includes facilities such as a business area with computers, meeting rooms and showers. It’s open 24 hours a day and can be found in Terminal 3.
There are many forms of transport available from the airport in order to get you to your chosen destination.
- Bus – Services begin around 6:00 and cost under $2 per trip. It takes around an hour to reach the city.
- Car rentals – A rental service is available upon arrival in terminal 1, 2 and 3.
- Train – A train network is available beneath terminals 2 and 3 for access to the city.
- Taxi – Taxi ranks are available upon arrival to take you directly to your accommodation.
Singapore has a strong education system with levels including primary, secondary, post-secondary education and university. The Ministry of Education explains what you can expect from each level and more about their system. The National University of Singapore is consistently ranked amongst the world’s top universities and attracts students from all over the globe.
SGD = Singapore Dollar ($)
Singapore has a tropical climate and is generally hot and humid. The average temperatures range from 23°C to 30°C with June usually being the hottest month. Monsoons are common in Singapore and tend to peak in November and January. It’s best the check the latest weather conditions before you travel to know whether to pack an umbrella or not.
Apartments in the area
We highly recommend Singapore Residence which is situated in the city centre. It offers a range of apartments from studios to 2 and 3 bedroom properties. Full kitchen facilities are provided as well as wireless internet and a maid service.
In the Central Business District we recommend Liang Court Apartments, which has studios as well as 1, 2, 3 and 4 bedroom properties. Located by the river these apartments provide fully equipped kitchens and offer a range of onsite amenities. Remember that SilverDoor has a great range of serviced apartments in Singapore; just give us a call and our client team will be happy to find the right one for your next trip.