Zürich is the largest city in Switzerland and is located near the centre of the country. As one of the oldest cities in the country, it dates back to the 15th century and is littered with history. As one of the world’s major business centres it’s also home to a huge amount of financial institutions, and holds the majority of the Swiss bank’s headquarters.
When in Zurich make time to visit:
- The Old Town in Altstadt. This historic section of Zurich is alongside the Limmat River. The cobbled streets are filled with shops, restaurants and traditional Swiss pubs, attracting tourists all year round.
- The Uetliberg Mountain is another iconic image in the city’s skyline. The hike to the top provides one of the most amazing views in the whole of Zürich. It’s also easily accessible by train, whilst food and drink are available at the top of the mountain.
- Situated next to the lake, Zurich’s Opera House is another popular tourist attraction with opera, ballet and concerts throughout the year.
Public transport is the main way of travelling around Zurich. With most visitors using either the tram or the bus, the public transport system also includes boats on the lake and river. Tickets bought for a trip are valid on all public transport.
The only airport that serves Zurich is Kloten Airport, which handles international and domestic flights.
The airport has a free shuttle service between terminals.
- Bus – Buses operate all over the city and run throughout the day at regular intervals.
- Train – With over 400,000 people using Zurich Hauptbahnhof railway station daily, it’s no surprise that it’s the “world’s most frequently served” railway station. There are 2915 trains passing through the station every day.
- Car – There are rental cars available in the airport, and if you’re hesitant of renting straight out of the airport there are variety of different rental companies in multiple locations across the city.
- Taxi – There are over 1000 licensed taxis in Zurich, with taxi ranks outside of terminals 1 and 2 of Zurich Airport.
CHF = Swiss Franc
The climate of Switzerland is generally warm, but can endure cold winters. Zurich enjoys an oceanic climate and is similar to the UK. It is, however, worth checking weather updates before travelling.
Apartments in the area
We recommend Gerech Apartments in Werd, which are available as studio, one and two bedrooms. These stunning apartments include kitchen and living areas and are a short distance away from local amenities. Alternatively, you can book a stay at Albertstrasse 7 Apartments, which are located on a quiet, residential street. Free wireless internet access is included and makes it the perfect corporate serviced apartment. We have a wide range of other serviced apartments in Zurich too; give SilverDoor a call to chat to one of our client managers who’ll be delighted to find the perfect location for your next trip.